Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm Punting

I haven't gotten as much accomplished today as I had originally hoped, so I'm going to drop back and punt in order to buy some time to do my Blog Hop project (pardon the football reference - we are in the thick of Buckeye Country, if you don't make at least one a week you are shunned by your neighbors). My craft room (and the adjoining landing) looks like a craft bomb exploded. Or, perhaps, there was a window open during the wind storm. That pesky wind storm is going to be blamed for quite a bit over the next few days/weeks/as long as I can get away with it...

At any rate, I wanted to share the card that got me into the Gallery Idol contest in the first place. This is the one I finished 15 minutes before the deadline. We are two hours ahead of Utah, so that meant this card was being posted at 1:45 am. I slept in the next day.



The most interesting part about this card is the base. I had wanted to do a card with a shape, but had a really hard time making anything work the way I had envisioned. Finally I had the idea to cut a semi circle out of the front of a standard 4Bar so the card would still have visual interest, but still be able to fit properly into a standard envelope. I then covered the entire front of the card in handmade paper so the edge would be nice and soft.

I used Papertrey's Butterfly Kisses and Faux Ribbon sets for this card. I stamped my butterflies onto cardstock and then carefully cut them out and scored their wings. This allowed me to attach only their middles to the card and bend up their wings so they looked like they were flying.

There is glitter on just about everything. I have the hardest time getting glitter to photograph well. Does anybody have any tips? I'll be back later with a Christmas theme. Ta-ta....

Recipe (this one is a little rusty, but I'll try):
Cardstock: White - Strathmore, Kraft - Papertrey
Patterned paper: Red Dots - Paper Source
Stamps: Butterfly Kisses & Faux Ribbon - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Dark Chocolate - Papertrey (it may have been called Burnt Umber Palette at the time I made this card though)
Tools: Nesting Circles Dies - Quickutz, Corner rounder, die cut machine, Threading Water Punch - Fiskars
Ribbon: 1/4" Brown Satin - American Crafts
Other: Foam tape, glitter pen - Sakura

No comments: