Monday, April 1, 2013

April Color Play

Welcome to this month's Papertrey Ink Color Play feature. This month I'm taking my inspiration from this photo from The Little French Nest blog. The coordinating Papertrey colors are Lemon Tart, Aqua Mist, Lavender Moon, and Plum Pudding.


Anyone that visits here often knows that purple is not a color I typically use, so this month's combo was a little bit of a challenge for me. But I welcomed the opportunity to step outside my box and sat down to play with one of my favorite techniques - stamping my own patterned paper! I created a springy plaid using Background Basics: Super Stripes and Faux Ribbon and then die cut a wine tag from the resulting stock. I trimmed the tag slightly (about 1/8" on each side) and adhered that to an Aqua Mist layer that I had stamped with two rows of polka dots from Background Basics: Circles.


Next, I created a second strip for my sentiment and trimmed the end to match the "v" of the wine tag. I stamped and embossed my sentiment and then mounted that atop the plaid tag and embellished with what I'm calling "faux sugared enamel dots."


I am, as I've mentioned before, a little bit of a cheapskate. I love the look of enamel dots, but I've been afraid that the moment I break down and buy them they'll be totally passé and none of the cool kids will be using them anymore. So I decided to try and make my own. I took punched circles of cardstock and ran them through my Xyron machine. Then I loaded them with Glossy Accents and coated them with glitter before putting them aside until they dried (it definitely took awhile - I even took a trip to the grocery store before adding them to the card). The waxy Xyron paper keeps them flat while they dry and once they're finished they are self-adhesive, glittery, slightly domed embellishments in your favorite colors. Fabulous!

That's all for me this month. Thank you so much for visiting. See you again soon!

Recipe:
Stamps: Background Basics: Super Stripes, Background Basics: Circles, Faux Ribbon, Bountiful Banners - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Lemon Tart, Lavender Moon - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Aqua Mist, Lemon Tart, Plum Pudding, Lavender Moon - Papertrey Ink; Versamark - Tsukineko
Other: Wine Tag Die - Papertrey Ink; White Detail Embossing Powder - Filigree; 5/8" circle punch; 3/8" circle punch; 1/4" circle punch; Xyron machine; Glossy Accents - Ranger; Foam Tape - Scotch; Fine Crystal Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts

10 comments:

kerrycwills said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I love the patterned paper you created and I think you did an amazing job with the color challenge.

Suzanne Russell said...

Love! I'm always in awe of hand made plaid. This is no exception. The color combo is perfect for Spring. Thanks, Lizzie

Cindy O said...

Great colors together, and thanks for your recipe for those glittery dots!

Diana K said...

Love your sugar coated enamel dots. Such a clever girl!

Elizabeth S. said...

Such a pretty card! Love how you interpreted the color combo!

Cheryl said...

Love your plaid! And thanks for the tip about Xyron and embellies.

Jackie said...

That's beautiful! Thanks for the tip on the faux sugared enamel dots, too - that's a great idea.

StephH said...

Great interpretation of the Color Challenge! I never even thought about creating a plaid background with Super Stripes and Fauz Ribbon! Awesome! Love your Faux enamel brads too. Lovely work Lizzie!

Cindy H. said...

Beautiful card! I absolutely love the plaid you created and those gorgeous faux sugared enamel dots - so clever! I will be trying that out for sure.

Randi said...

There's purple and then there's purple:-)