Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Holiday Style

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Day 5 of the October Papertrey Ink Countdown! Today we're showcasing Maile's new folded tag dies and the Wet Paint Holiday Tags and Star Scribbles stamp sets. It's no secret that I love gift packaging, so these fresh and modern tags and stamps are right up my alley! Plus, they're absolutely perfect for experimenting with a technique I've been wanting to try. Let's get to it, shall we?

How about we start with the tags. I wanted to try a technique I've been mulling over and I thought these tags would be a great opportunity to give it a spin. Essentially, it's an emboss resist and sponging technique, but with a twist.

For You Tag Set

I began by die cutting the tags from white cardstock - super quick because there are two tags per die! I masked off the back portion of the tags with a post it note and then stamped and embossed the Star Scribbles images with clear powder. Then, I sponged Vintage Jadeite, Aqua Mist, and Tropical Teal inks over the embossing. Now comes the twist. After I was happy with my ink blending, I sponged Versamark over the front of the entire tag and sprinkled on Pearl colored Perfect Pearls. I dusted it around a bit and then brushed away the excess with a paintbrush. I buffed the surface with a soft cloth to remove any loose powder and allow the colors to show through a little better. The end result shimmers beautifully and almost looks like soft metal.

Folded Christmas Tag

Then I die cut the sentiment from Wet Paint Holiday Tags and stamped it with Tropical Teal. I also stamped a companion sentiment in Aqua Mist ink onto a white die cut banner. I layered the two and adhered them to the front of the tag.

I loved the technique so much that I decided to try it again, this time on a coordinating Christmas card.

Be Merry Card

I followed the same steps for the blended stripe on the card as I had for the tag, just masking off a larger area. The Star Scribbles image is a tad short to go all the way from the top of the card to the bottom, so I just lined up the ends as carefully as possible to bridge that gap.

Be Merry Close Up

I embellished the sentiment with glittered stars that I cut with the Small Sketched Stars Die. I love how non-traditional and festive this card turned out!

Finally today, I have one last card to share. This one pairs Fair Isle Borders with Dawn's Enclosed: Wreath set for a decidedly more traditional greeting.

Peace On Earth Card

I began by stamping my background. To make things super easy on myself I lined up several of the borders on one block and just stamped twice. Work smarter, not harder, folks. I inked the images with Scarlet Jewel and stamped onto Pure Poppy cardstock. Then, I die cut the smaller Botanical Blocks Basics rectangle and the wreath shape from Rustic White cardstock. I stamped the wreath with the coordinating image using Simply Chartreuse, Ripe Avocado, and Pure Poppy inks.

Peace On Earth Close Up

The rectangle was stamped with a sentiment from the set and matted with an Aqua Mist layer (also cut with the Botanical Blocks Basics die). I adhered the rectangle piece to the card front and added the wreath with foam tape. I then embellished the holly berries with Glossy Accents and set that piece aside to dry. Next, I die cut the "Peace" from xyroned Kraft cardstock and trimmed away the excess bits I didn't want to use. I removed the adhesive paper and added a sprinkle of gold glitter for a pop of glam. Once the holly berries were dry, I added the glittered sentiment and called it good.

Thank you all for joining me today. I'm sure you're aware that today is a group post day, so make sure to visit Nichole, Amy, Ashley, Betsy, Danielle, Dawn, Heather, Kay, LaurieMelissa, and Maile as they share more of this month's release. I'll see you back here tomorrow with a handful of additional projects. Have a great day!

Recipes:
For You Tag Set
Stamps: Wet Paint Holiday Tags, Star Scribbles - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: white
Ink: Vintage Jadeite, Aqua Mist, Tropical Teal - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Folded Tags Die, Wet Paint Holiday Tags Die, Tag Sale #10 - Papertrey Ink; Pearl Perfect Pearls - Ranger; Clear Embossing Powder - Filigree; White Crochet Thread

Be Merry Card
Stamps: Wet Paint Holiday Tags, Star Scribbles - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: white
Ink: Vintage Jadeite, Aqua Mist, Tropical Teal - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other:Wet Paint Holiday Tags Die, Small Sketched Stars Die - Papertrey Ink; Pearl Perfect Pearls - Ranger; Clear Embossing Powder - Filigree; Sterling Fine Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts; Glue Pen

Peace On Earth Card
Stamps: Enclosed: Wreath, Fair Isle Borders - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Pure Poppy, Aqua Mist, Rustic White, Classic Kraft - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Scarlet Jewel, Simply Chartreuse, Ripe Avocado, Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Botanical Blocks Basics Die, Enclosed: Wreath Die - Papertrey Ink; Foam Tape - Scotch; Gold Embossing Powder - Filigree; Glossy Accents - Ranger; Florentine Gold Fine Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts; Xyron

11 comments:

TracyL said...

I love the twist that you showed, thanks for sharing it! your samples are gorgeous!

Scrappin4kim(Jennifer) said...

Love the technique, thanks Lizzie!!

jan metcalf said...

Absolutely love the results of your technique Lizzie!! Beautiful tag! Lovely colors achieved!

Diana K said...

Wow, Lizzie! Love the technique you shared - it looks especially amazing on that tag. And your classic wreath card with the Fair Isle background is what Christmas is all about. Love.

Mary W said...

Love the Perfect Pearls idea and love the colors you used. It is a beautiful tag.

jintyoo7 said...

Oh my gosh, sounds like a wonderful technique - perhaps a "Make it Monday" contender????
Beautiful work, I can just imagine the lovely sheen on these projects ;-)

Cindy H. said...

Fabulous tags and cards! Love your technique - the tags & card are so festive looking! Gorgeous Fair Isle card!

BeverlyBL said...

Like the muted look of the sort of tone on tone background with the Fair Isle borders. And the Perfect Pearls technique is a great idea. Thanks.

Kathy Krug said...

Love the star scribbles and how you used them.

María Alba Negrón said...

Hi Lizzie,

Fun and cheery projects, the pairing of Fair Isle with enclosed Wreath....PERFECT!!!

Cariños,
María Alba

Brithzi said...

Beautiful projects!